Monday, January 22, 2018

Resolutions 2018

We're 3 weeks into the new year and I have been still contemplating on my new year resolutions.

Yes, I am one of those who made resolutions every year. Most of them remained in my mind for a few days. Work on some started and faded before the first month did. The others were never compelling enough to start with. "I will loose weight this year" - "I will write a book this year" - "I will update my blog regularly this year" - "I will play a sport of choice this year regularly" etc etc were the resolutions. 

What drives us to do or refrain from doing something is tangible goals linked to material outcomes. While stretch targets are good, I for one, believe in setting up achievable short terms goals. Once you meet your short term target, it's best to re-assess and set yourself the next target. That way, we can keep ourselves motivated through small accomplishments and in the end land up achieving more. 

From this introspection I have realised:
  • Make specific, definite goals and try to break them up over a period of time
  • Link outcomes to what you cherish the most - this would be an added kicker of motivation to achieve the goals
  • Do not bother to assess in depth the impact of what you are setting up to achieve is good enough or not - There is nothing called 'good enough' / 'important enough' - If getting it done means something to you - just do it
  • Keep adding to the list - Life is not static - why should our goals be?

My Resolutions For 2018:
  • Travel to at least 4 new destinations (1 per quarter)
  • Read at least 12 new books (1 per month)
  • 10,000 followers on Twitter (3,270 as on date)
  • 20,000 connections on LinkedIn (11,975 as on date)
  • 25,000 followers on LinkedIn (12,181 as on date)
  • 24 blog posts on my personal Blog (This is my 2nd blog post for the year) 
  • 24 blog posts on my HR Blog (This is virtually dead as we speak)
  • Walk 10,000 steps daily
  • Pray everyday
  • Volunteer with an NGO 
  • Make a customised calendar, diary with my photos and share with loved ones for 2019
I have already started work on some of the items above. Even though I may not achieve everything I set out for, I am at least glad that it is nudging me to do things I enjoy doing.

Have you listed down your 2018 Goals?


No comments:

Write... Pray!

I want to write. Mostly because I want to be read. Truthfully, because I want to be understood. I love writing because it leaves no scope fo...