Monday, November 16, 2009

2 States & 1 Entertainer - My Take...

Well, I have to admit that even after all these years of reading, if there was one author, If I may call him so, who could compel me to actually pen down a book review / my opinion on its author, it would have to be only Chetan Bhagat.

Chetan, according to me, is hardly an author. I feel, and I’m sure he agrees with me, when I say, that he is, primarily is an entertainer. It is only coincidence that he chooses to entertain us through the medium of the written word.

Having read and thoroughly enjoyed his previous three ‘mistakes’, I was anxiously waiting for him to err the fourth time around! And he did. I was lucky enough to get my copy of his latest book “2 States – The story of my marriage” yesterday in hand.

There are some things in life, which once you get your hands on, are never easy to let go off without exploring completely. Women and Chetan Bhagat books are just two of those things.

Chetan, who is touted as the “Rockstar of Indian publishing” is credited with the distinction of bringing back my generation to books. I think there are certain key reasons why Chetan and his kind of literature click with the Indian Youth:-

1. Chetan’s simple, lucid and personal style of story telling. When his characters talk, you feel you are there and are actually a part of the conversation. You can relate to his characters instantaneously. You’ll find yourself laughing and crying with them as the book progresses.

2. His uncanny knack of bringing in humour in the weirdest of situations. His sheer sense of timing is brilliant. He’s probably the only man who can think of the concept of two people belonging to separate states and castes procreating in the name of national integration!!

3. Chetan is also one of the few authors who understand true Indian emotions. He knows what a man thinks when he first sees a woman. He is unapologetic about the concept of sex. He knows the importance of a parantha to a Punjabi household and the value of “The Hindu” newspaper to a Tam Brahm.

4. He tells us stories the way we hear them happening all around us. Not the way they need to be told or the way we should be hearing them. That’s the best part.

5. The most amazing and probably the least acknowledged aspect of Chetan’s writing is his observational skills and how vividly he can articulate what he observes. Trust me, the guy is a brilliant observer.

6. Lastly, you will invariably find one character, who you will crazily relate to and cry for, in the entire book. It could be anyone depending on your life. And then you will remember the book for the rest of your life, for that one character and what he did, and didn’t do in the book. In my case: I’ll remember 2 States for the character of Mr. Malhotra – Krish’s dad.

7. Lastly, I always look for those few pearls of wisdom in the form of impactful one liners that Chetan throws in every now and then as if to garnish his very well cooked Indian Emotional Curry with the soulful spices and flavors.

He is one man we should look out for. He is supremely intelligent. He is also mastering his craft and growing in reputation with each work of his. He is one of those Indians of my generation, who I’d definitely watch out for in times to come because of the sheer power and influence he wields over the young minds of this country.

His achievements are more noteworthy as he has been able to capture the imagination of young India without being a cricketer or a movie star. Probably that should explain why the puritans of publishing & the literati love to hate him so much!!!

Rock On Chetan…

No comments:

Write... Pray!

I want to write. Mostly because I want to be read. Truthfully, because I want to be understood. I love writing because it leaves no scope fo...