Monday, June 23, 2008

My emotionally charged farewell speech as the District Rotaract Representative...

DRR’s Farewell Speech
“I never knew until this moment what it was like to lose something I never really had.

In your life you meet people. Some you never think about again. Some you wonder what happened to them. There are some that you wonder if they ever think about you. And then there are some you wish you never had to think about again; but you do. I thank Rotaract for making me come across all such people.

Growing up is full of big moments. Some of them you can see coming from a mile away; and some you can't see at all. Well, today’s farewell speech was something I didn’t see coming for some time.. but then as they say, Time always catches up on you.

Things never turn out exactly the way you planned. I know they didn't with me. Still, like my father used to say, 'Traffic's traffic, you go where life takes you' and growing up happens in a heartbeat. One day you're in diapers, the next you're gone, but the memories of childhood stay with you for the long haul. I remember a time a place, a particular fourth of April when I joined the Rotaract Club of Churchgate.

I remember how hard it was growing up among people I loved. Most of all, I remember how hard it will be to leave. And the thing is, after all these years I still look back in wonder.
Growing up is never easy. You hold on to things that were. You wonder what's to come. But tonight, I think I know it is time to let go of what has been, and look ahead to what would be. Other days. New days. Days to come. The thing is, we don't have to hate each other for getting older. We just have to forgive ourselves... for growing up out of Rotaract.

I have a million people to thank, but remembering names and birthdays has never been my forte. So I’ll just thank my Parents and my family for being with me all through. I’m sure my dad would’ve been proud of me today.

And yes, Now while I leave, I just have to pass down three most important things I’ve learnt from my stint with Rotaract –

1. Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen
2. If you have to emphasize the importance of something, then it probably isn't that important in the first place..."
3. Admiration fades... Love endures

Thank you for giving me the love that you’ll have through this year and for the last 7 years.
Thank you.”

5 comments:

Unknown said...

dude .. u shud become a writer .. anyway all the best for the other days , new days .. theyre gonna fun im sure .. tc

himanshu kapadia said...

Thanks Renu..... for being another first in my life!!!

First comment on one's blog does feel special!! :-)

Anonymous said...

heyy...
ok wait lemme admit this first, the only reason i clicked on ur link was out of sheer and desperate boredom (and even cuz d pizza i ordered for hadnt yet arrived)

But after reading ur latest blog i kept on reading the others till d time i reached this one. My friend, this speech is nothing short of fabulous...!
will b looking forward to other genuinely good reading material frm u.

Rtr. Himanshu Kapadia said...

Hey JD... thanks for the sweet comments!!! I'm glad you like it!! Where have u been? It's been a long time.

Anonymous said...

like !!!

Write... Pray!

I want to write. Mostly because I want to be read. Truthfully, because I want to be understood. I love writing because it leaves no scope fo...